Saturday, February 15, 2014

Yum | Macarons


I've always loved the look of macarons. They even look too good to eat sometimes! (Who am I kidding? They are too good NOT to eat!) A few days ago, I decided to try my hand at making them…and they were a total FAIL. Please learn from my mistake and do not rush into making macarons before  you fully understand the process of making them. My impatient self forgot to add the granulated sugar to the egg whites and beat them until it formed a meringue. I had added the granulated sugar to the mixture of almond flour and confectioner's sugar instead. I also did not sift the almond flour and confectioner's sugar, which is a very important step if you want your macarons to have that smooth and glossy texture. If you don't do this, you will end up with lumpy macarons without "feet" (the ridges along the edges) like I did.

The second time around, they came out almost perfect! Another tip: make sure not to overcook them or they will turn brown! Next time I'll have to keep a closer eye on them, so that they do not brown.

I watched this video before my second attempt, and I found it very helpful!



Macarons are fun to make, especially since you can change up the colors and fillings! Have fun with it and experiment! I know I will be doing that!

                                                                                     -Chelsea

No comments: