Saturday, April 5, 2014

Konjac Sponges | A Review


What are Konjac sponges? Konjac sponges are sponges made from 100% Konjac plant root, so they are chemical-free and biodegradable. 

What they claim to do: 
  • Gently cleanse and exfoliate skin
  • Balance the acidic pH of the skin (the sponges are naturally alkaline) 

How to use Konjac sponges: 
  • Rinse and soak sponge until it becomes soft
  • Gently massage face in circular motion (you can use it with your cleanser)           
  • Rinse and squeeze sponge and hang to dry

What do I think? Konjac sponges are made by many different companies. Mine was by "My Konjac Sponge" and I bought it on Amazon.com for $10. It was the Original Pure one without any clays or charcoal added. When I first opened the package, I was amazed at how hard the sponge felt. It felt like a rock, but once I rinsed it under water for a bit, it became really soft and almost gelatinous. I used it with my usual cleanser, and it felt so nice on my skin. My skin felt so soft and smooth afterward.   The smoothness did not seem to last very long, though. I used the sponge once a day for about a week, and I noticed that I started to break out more than I usually do. I decided to stop using the sponge to see if it was the cause, and after several days, my skin started to clear up. I think it caused breakouts for me because of its alkaline pH. The pH of healthy skin tends to be slightly acidic and should be kept at that pH so that the skin's barrier is not disrupted. I really wanted this sponge to work out for me, but its alkaline pH really messed with my skin. 


-Chelsea

No comments: